Skip to main content

No More Signing For New Players in Man Utd

ALEX FERGUSON is backing Manchester United's whizkids - rather than spend millions in the transfer market.

Boss Fergie insists the future of the club is in their own backyard with youngsters like Federico Macheda, Tom Cleverley, Javier Hernandez, Chris Smalling and the Da Silva twins, Rafael and Fabio.
The new Old Trafford brat pack are all waiting to burst on to the Premier League stage this season.
Manchester City are edging closer to spending £100million this summer.
But Ferguson insisted: "I've got probably 12 players all under 21, which is a fantastic average age, and the future should be pretty secure with them.
"Over the years we've bought players for quite high amounts like Dimitar Berbatov, Rio Ferdinand, Juan Sebastian Veron and Wayne Rooney. But we try to equate how we're going to get the proper value before we do it.
"When I see some of the values now, and you're talking about players at £40m or £30m-odd, we have to assess our own players first.
"We take a quite good view of it now and say let's look at our own young players.
"Have they got the ability? How much can we trust them? Do we see a top player in that young player?
"And we're not bad, you know. There are some good young players who have come through the system.
"They understand the club, they're loyal to the club, and we can build on that."
Cynics might suggest United are keeping their hands in their pockets because the money simply is not there as the Glazers have saddled the club with a £717m debt.
But Ferguson also argues that spending big can actually turn supporters off.
He added: "The enormous amounts of money players are paid, not just for the transfer fees but for their salaries - I don't think it rests easy with supporters."
Ferguson, 68, is now in his 24th year as United boss and many believe this will be his last.
But he insisted: "If I have my health I can carry on. There will be a point obviously when I do quit but I have absolutely no idea when that is.
"I tried that a few years ago and it was an absolute disaster. Agony.
"My wife made me change my mind and she was dead right. I think she was soon fed up with me."
However, it is clear Fergie is preparing the groundwork for his eventual successor.
He added: "What you have to do is maintain the success of the club and make sure that, no matter when I quit, they are always in good hands.
"With any big club, and there's no question we are a massive one with a great history, you have to ingrain yourself immediately into the fabric of what Manchester United are.
"That gives you a good chance in terms of understanding the history. And it's not a history you should be afraid of.
"I was never afraid of it, I was proud to be part of the history. Then after that you need a strong personality, a strong mentality and then of course you need to know the game.
"There are a lot of things that come into management, and for a club our size, personality, experience and a good background are important things."
Ferguson's next task is to wrest the Premier League title away from Chelsea - and he will tackle it with an energy that defies his years.
He added: "It's a fantastic football club which demands a challenge all the time.
"Every day of every year we have to meet the challenge of being at the top - but I think that helps me.
"The second thing is you need good, natural energy which, fortunately, I've been blessed with.
"The third thing is that I can keep going as long as my health keeps going.



"I'm 68 and so far my health has been standing up. So these are important factors.
"Also there is the opportunity of working with very good footballers, with good desire and good purpose about themselves.
"At Manchester United we don't just build a footballer in terms of ability, we try to build their character to make them better human beings and to understand their responsibilities.
"The response I've had over the years has been good.
"The younger players and even the older ones have given a great response to the demands of the job.
"They understand their job and I think that's important."
Meanwhile, Ryan Giggs, 36, and fellow veteran Paul Scholes, 35, are both building up their fitness ahead of the coming season on the North America tour.
United head home following the final game of their five-match trip against new signing Hernandez's former club Guadalajara in Mexico tomorrow.
Ferguson said: "They have always been an influence. They are the standard-bearers for our club right through from the kids because they are great examples.
"They have lived their lives right.The consistency in their training performance, playing performance and longevity, they are remarkable people."

Read more: The Sun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manchester United Players Profile: Patrice Evra

PATRICE EVRA Birthdate: 15 May 1981 Jersey No: 3 Birthplace: Dakar, Senegal Position: Defender Appearances 246 Goals Scored 3 Joined United: 10 Jan 2006 United Debut: 14 Jan 2006 v Manchester City (A) International: France